Subject: Re: [boost] [1.37.0][date-time] Breaking the log jam
From: Michael Fawcett (michael.fawcett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-30 15:29:18

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Suppose this turns into 10 days of testing merging etc. Then, a whole
> new beta round? And by that time, someone will find "just one
> more thing". My view is that we can't atain perfection. But we
> can achieve a product which shows strict improvement on
> a TIMELY basis.

Why a whole new beta round? Isn't it:

1. Prepare beta
2. Identify problems in beta
3. Fix issues that won't hugely affect scheduled release date
4. Verify fixes didn't add regressions
5. Package release

?

If step 3 isn't going to get done, you may as well just skip steps 1
and 2 as well. If step 3 is consistently impossible to get done, then
you need a longer beta period.

> I would hope that it one could just start checking this stuff into the
> the trunk right now - and of course start testing it. This would give
> it some time in the trunk for testing and have it ready to be merged
> in to the next release ready branch after 1.37 is tagged. This could
> then be tagged as the 1.37.1 "point release" if that was considered
> necessary. Hopefully this would be pretty painless.

I really hope point releases are considered.

--Michael Fawcett