Subject: Re: [boost] CMake build system is Merged into Trunk
From: Michael Jackson (mike.jackson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-01 15:37:35

On Nov 1, 2008, at 3:30 PM, Eric Niebler wrote:

> Michael Jackson wrote:
>> With the encouragement of Doug Gregor and the support of other
>> Boost moderators I have merged the work from the CMake branch into
>> trunk.
> <snip>
>> NOTHING has been done to compromise the current build system based
>> on BJam.
>
> First off, congrats, I'm glad to see this project moving forward.
> Providing support for a de-facto standard build system like CMake
> can only improve the lives of Boost users, and that's the most
> important thing.
>
> How does this effect the lives of Boost developers? My day-to-day
> work occasionally involves changing jamfiles. Will I also need to
> edit CMake files? Or is there a CMake build system champion who will
> be working to keep the two build systems in sync?
>
> --
> Eric Niebler
> BoostPro Computing
> http://www.boostpro.com

I am not sure we have worked out who the "CMake Champion" is. If you
understand CMake then updating the CMake files is straight forward. If
you don't have any idea what to do then maybe an email to myself or
the Boost-CMake mail list?

This does present an interesting problem as the CMake build files will
always be "Chasing a moving target".

I guess some one will have to get some more docs up on trac about how
to update the CMake files. At the minimum putting a simple

message(STATUS "This Library [Library Name] was updated") in the
CMakeLists.txt file for the library would at least let us know that
something should be looked at for the library.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Mike Jackson mike.jackson_at_[hidden]
             www.bluequartz.net