Subject: Re: [boost] [threadpool] new version v12
From: Oliver Kowalke (k-oli_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-03 04:53:06

> > If the fibers are not moved to other worker-threads this shouldn't
> > be an issue - right?
>
> No. The problem is if I am a task running on a worker thread, and I
> call future::get(), if another task/fiber gets scheduled on my thread
> then it inherits my locks, thread-local variables and thread ID.

But this seams to me consistent. Because both fibers run on the same thread they should see the same thread ID, the same thread-specific storage. Only inheriting locks seams to be odd at the first look - but this should also be ok because the locks prevent access of other threads. Only if the lock is released twice by the fiber code - nedd to think about this issue.

> Also, I just remembered that on Windows prior to Vista, SwitchToFiber
> will not preserve floating-point registers and state. On Vista, you
> have to specify FIBER_FLAG_FLOAT_SWITCH in the CreateFiberEx call in
> order to enable this. I don't know how much of a problem that is in
> practice.

I didn't read this in the MSDN :( I'll search for it.

regards,
Oliver

Jetzt GMX ProMail testen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail