Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Build changes for 1.38
From: Ravi (lists_ravi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-03 14:09:20

On Monday 03 November 2008 13:11:26 Chris wrote:
> I use many libraries, I learned bjam because I use boost in Windows and
> linux.  I use ACE, fltk, and compile many.  Overall, I do not fully
> trust any convention of INSTALL.txt and README.txt.  Sometimes they have
> compilation instructions in README (fltk).  Or in ACE-INSTALL.html.  Or
> on the website.  Or a text file refers to another source.  Or under
> program option help (cmake openalsoft).
>
> If I have a configure, then I don't even read anything.   ./configure
> --help to see options.  ./configure, make, sudo make install
> If not, then I look at any binaries or special files in the directory
> that tell me what type of build system it uses, or at any text files.  I
> look for "To install, do this: ...".   I usually first ignore html
> files, since I can't vi them.  (Sometimes I'm on the console or network.)

I do not understand your point. As a mostly *nix user, here's my take:

1. Most users will use whatever their distribution provides (Linux,
OpenSolaris, etc.) and the distribution packagers will figure out that
bjam/cmake is what is required.

2. For those that compile from source, the binaries will be installed in some
special place, and probably have some complex flags; these users are poorly
served by the presence of a configure script that does not exactly match their
expectations.

In either case, the current configure script does not meet exceptations.

Regards,
Ravi