Subject: [boost] Documentation and directory structure
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-04 09:23:18

I've just downloaded the 1.37 release. I have the svn tree, but I wanted
the pre-built documentation.

I was very disappointed that I found the documentation in different places
depending on
how it was generated. So for some libraries its in ../doc/html and for
others its in
libs/<library_name>/doc.

This is really confusing. It also suggests that the documentation build is
some
humungous script which builds all the documentation at once. I realise
that boost likes to do things like this way - but never the less its very
inconvenient for those of us who just want to use a small portion of boost
in any given project.

Can't we rationalize the documentation build in to something like the
following?

a) directory structure
    .../libs/<library_name>/doc
            Jamfile.v2 (optional)
            html
            docbook
            quickbook
             whatever.

b) ability to build documentation for one library at a time by invoking
bjam or whatever

Advantages
a) consistent directory structure
b) release could but would necessarily have to include the prebuilt
documentation
c) easier for developers to fiddle with documentation of one library at a
time
d) easier to extract one library from boost
e) easier to understand and use the documentation build process

Robert Ramey