Subject: Re: [boost] Is there any need for a math library doing vectors and matrices operations?
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-04 10:37:48

Christophe Riccio wrote:

> GPU programmers get some really convenient languages to do graphics on GPU.
> [...]
> GLSL:
> http://www.opengl.org/registry/doc/GLSLangSpec.Full.1.30.08.withchanges.pdf
>
> These languages are the result of a lot of experimented developers in 3D
> graphics and are basically the same. I decided to build a C++ math library
> based on all the rules that those developers agreed to be good rules and it
> result in GLM: http://glm.g-truc.net.

So basically, this is an implementation of GLSL in C++.
You believe the GLSL API should be the standard API for linear algebra.
But do other people agree? Even in the shading language world, isn't Cg
more popular?
Aren't those APIs very C-ish? There is no genericity in the types.

> lot of limitation on types and rules that
> couldn't apply directly in C++ (swizzle operators).

You can probably implement a simple DSEL to describe swizzle operators.

Also, I read on your site you require anonymous unions for some things.
Why is that?