Subject: Re: [boost] Is Boost.Astronomy feasible?
From: Rush Manbert (rush_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-05 18:41:08

I've been thinking about this since I saw the first post on the
subject. Please excuse my curmudgeonly attitude, but I think this
should be said.

I would say that adding an astrometry (or astrometry, or astrology for
that matter) library to Boost is a step in the wrong direction.

Where I work, we use the Boost libraries to develop our commercial
software. Because we want to "release" official Boost versions into
our development environment, we build the linkable libraries and check
them into our source code repository. We also check the header files
into the repository.

When I do a checkout, the largest amount of time and disk space goes
to checking out the Boost libraries and headers. I just looked and the
include/boost directory contains 20,747 files.

In my opinion, the last thing Boost needs is more library binaries and
more header files for a library that will be of very little general use.

The Boost libraries started out (as near as I can tell) as a way to
get capabilities into C++ that were left out of the standard. They do
that admirably, and they are being used as the basis for a lot of C+
+0x additions. I love them and I thank the developers from the bottom
of my heart for what they have created. But there also seems to be a
tendency to want to throw in everything, including the kitchen sink. I
would suggest avoiding that and keeping the libraries focused on
solving programming problems faced by most C++ programmers. I just
don't think that common astronomy calculations fall into that category.

Just my 2 cents.

- Rush