Subject: [boost] Library names in system layout on linux
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-07 13:05:23

Hi,

we had discussion about the library names that are produced
on Linux, with --layout system:

        http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.build/19529

Two person who package Boost for different Linuxes participated,
and I think we've agreed on some changes that will make them,
and hopefully linux users, a bit happier. Now, with --layout=system,
the libraries are named like this:

        libboost_filesystem_mt.so

The proposal is to:

1. Drop 'mt', since most libraries are built with MT on Linux, and don't
use such special decorations.

2. Add version number at end, to comply with standard packaging.

So, we'd create:

        libboost_filesystem.so.1.38.0

together with a symlink to it, named

        libboost_filesystem.so

I suspect some folks packaging Boost might not be reading Boost.Build list,
so I wanted to mention this plan here. Anybody has objections?

- Volodya