Subject: Re: [boost] Building 'stage' by default
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-23 14:47:23

on Sat Nov 22 2008, Vladimir Prus <ghost-AT-cs.msu.su> wrote:

> We presently have 3 ways of building C++ Boost from top-level directory:
>
> - with 'stage' target -- only libraries are installed
> - with 'install' target -- both libraries and headers are installed
> - with no explicit target -- everything is built, but nothing installed
>
> It seems to me that the first two options are what the majority of users will want,
> so some of them should be the default. I have a local patch that makes 'stage' the
> default,

Good choice.

> and additionally prints the following message:
>
> Performing 'stage' build by default:
> - binaries installed into 'stage/lib'

Could you change that to an absolute path for clarity and use
backslashes when on windows?

> - headers not installed, use the source tree

"Use the source tree" is not descriptive enough, IMO. I suggest, e.g.,
"place </absolute/path/of/current/dir> in your #include path to compile
successfully."

> Use the 'install' target for complete installation.

I think "Use the 'install' target" is also not descriptive enough. Some
people just won't know what it means to "use" a "target." "Build the
'install' target" would be better, but I suggest "``bjam install'' will
install headers and libraries in standard system locations (or under a
--prefix directory of your choice)."

> This message is printed only if no explicit target is specified -- if user types
> 'stage' or 'install', it's assumed he knows what he's doing.

Makes sense.

> Anybody has any comments on this change in defaults, or about the
> wording of the message?

I think it's headed in the right direction. Good work!

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing