Subject: [boost] Building 'stage' by default
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-22 03:40:18

We presently have 3 ways of building C++ Boost from top-level directory:

        - with 'stage' target -- only libraries are installed
        - with 'install' target -- both libraries and headers are installed
        - with no explicit target -- everything is built, but nothing installed

It seems to me that the first two options are what the majority of users will want,
so some of them should be the default. I have a local patch that makes 'stage' the
default, and additionally prints the following message:

        Performing 'stage' build by default:
           - binaries installed into 'stage/lib'
           - headers not installed, use the source tree
        Use the 'install' target for complete installation.

This message is printed only if no explicit target is specified -- if user types
'stage' or 'install', it's assumed he knows what he's doing.

Anybody has any comments on this change in defaults, or about the wording of
the message?

Thanks,
Volodya

--