Subject: Re: [boost] Breaking existing libraries
From: Daniel Walker (daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-24 10:14:32

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 9:28 AM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Sun Nov 23 2008, "vicente.botet" <vicente.botet-AT-wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> Daniel Walker has expresed this better
>> "Once accepted, the tests
>> should be a verification that the library does what the community
>> voted on. The tests are a verification of quality. At that point, I
>> think it might be a good idea to quarantine the tests, take them out
>> of the authors hands, and put them under the stewardship of a
>> benevolent dictator of boost as a whole so that they can be used to
>> assure that the library does what the community voted on.
>> "
>
>> If we need to change while we make evolulion on a library this is a
>> symptom the interface has changed and the same way the test is broken,
>> the user code canbe broken. If we forbid this test changes, we are
>> able to identify breaking changes.
>
> I'm sorry, but I just don't think anything like this is going to work.
> Among other things, I think it will be a huge pain for existing library
> authors (suppose I want to _add_ something to a test?) and will deter
> people from contributing to Boost, and I don't think you're going to get
> a positive consensus on it among existing contributors. This seems like
> an overreaction to one person's failure at disciplined management of
> library evolution.

I see your point and I agree that policies should not make it
difficult for authors to test their code. However, submitting a patch
is not so difficult.

As for contributing to Boost, people are also deterred when they take
the time to understand a library and submit improvements to it, only
to have the rug pulled out from under them. This is actually my
personal experience with Boost.Range. The Range concepts used to have
an empty(r) that I believe addressed the issue of empty ranges
independently of iterator_range. But the whole thing falls on its face
when for no sensible reason the function was removed from the concept
definition. Why should I use the new Range concepts, let alone
contribute to the library, if these are not even the concepts that
were released after review and acceptance for boost? I mean, I'm not
throwing in the towel, I'm just expressing my frustration, not only as
a user but as a contributer.

> Rather than set up systems that will decrease agility, increase
> coupling, and give contriutors the sense that the Boost community
> doesn't trust them to do what's right, suppose we set up a mailing list
> to which all the test checkins are posted? Then anyone who wants to
> monitor the evolution of a library's tests can subscribe to that list.

I think this is a good idea, and in principle I could support it.
However, I must point out that it brings up another issue: Individuals
in the Boost community have some responsibility for monitoring Boost
development. If I had been paying closer attention, I could have
protested the changes in the Range concepts a long time ago.
Unfortunately, it's not easy to pay participate in all the mail
traffic on this list, especially when you have other demands on your
attention in life. This is why I'd like to automat quality control of
testing to the extent that after the community reviews and votes on
the unit tests as part of library acceptance, they can expect their
votes won't one day be nullified so easily. I don't know that my
suggestion would have even been enough to catch the problem in
Boost.Range, but it might help in the future.

Daniel Walker