Subject: Re: [boost] boost::signals2 performance
From: Stjepan Rajko (stjepan.rajko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-26 17:21:57

Hi Hansjörg,

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Hansi <hansipet_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I have made now a lot of tests with the new signals2 library.

Thanks for putting in the time to evaluate the library.

> The only thing
> because I don't want to use it now, is because it is really slow...
> I have made now performance tests with the dummy_mutex which is included.
> I have found out the about 50% of the time that it takes to call 10000000 is
> inside in slot_call_iterator---->lock_next_callable function. Here the
> follwing lines takes the 50% of the executing time:
>
> lock_type lock(**iter);
> tracked_ptrs = (*iter)->nolock_grab_tracked_objects();
>
> I hope that one has an idea how it can be made it faster...

It would be helpful if you could provide some context for the tests
you are running, such as the platform/compiler used, compiler
optimization setting, test source, as well as a comparison with how
the current Boost.Signals handles the same (or analogous) test.

Best,

Stjepan