Subject: [boost] RFC: Automatic indexing of quickbook/boostbook/docbook docs.
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-28 13:01:15

I've just committed a new tool to the sandbox under tools/auto_index which
helps automate the indexing of quickbook/boostbook/docbook documentation.

Obviously the tool is biased toward C/C++ code documentation, as among other
things it can scan C/C++ headers looks for definitions of
classes/typedefs/macros/functions which should be indexed. The actual index
can be produced either by the final XSL transform, or by auto_index itself
(ie using regular docbook markup for the index), the former is better for
PDF/print docs as it allows page numbers to be inserted, the latter works
better for html docs, and is also faster (thankfully - the XSLT index
generation code is glacially slow).

There are some examples taken from type_traits and Boost.Math here:
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/tools/auto_index/example/readme.html

Some rather basic documentation for the tool itself is here:
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/tools/auto_index/doc/html/index.html
note that currently there is no Boost.Build integration - I really need some
help with that - so the tool is much harder to use than it should be.

Any comments, especially on the usability of the indexes generated would be
much appreciated!

Cheers, John.