Subject: Re: [boost] A design for geometric objects
From: Gordon Woodhull (gordon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-05 23:07:59

On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:05 PM, Simonson, Lucanus J wrote:
> These operators are overloaded with SFINAE on return type such that
> three intersection operators are sufficient to cover all valid
> combinations of any geometry type, rectangle, six flavors of
> polgyons with and without holes in the manhattan, 45, or general
> domains, and std containers thereof as well as my data structures
> that serve as the inputs to the boolean algorithms

This approach leads to an combinatorial number of overloads, does it
not? Surely there must be a way to do static multiple dispatch using
metaprogramming instead.

I agree with the goal 100% and I want to see a rich interface like
this in Boost. Just wondering if the implementation ends up bulkier
than it needs to be.

> By the way, I notice the boost con deadline for submission abstracts
> is fast approaching. What would the boost community like to see in
> a boost con abstract about geometry from me?

If you get a spot, leave some time for discussion. ;-) Are any of the
other geometry authors planning to attend? Is there any chance for a
panel?

I am very glad to see some progress here - it's a tough problem which
should be nicely solvable with the abstractions and tools provided by
Boost.

Cheers,
Gordon