Subject: Re: [boost] A design for geometric objects
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-06 00:39:59

Gordon wrote:
>This approach leads to an combinatorial number of overloads, does it
>not? Surely there must be a way to do static multiple dispatch using
>metaprogramming instead.

No, there are three algorithms and three overloads. Any combination of many possible inputs resolves to the correct algorithm through metaprogramming. This operator API is concepts based. Previously I had a real problem with tag dispatching leading to exactly the problem you call out where a combinatorial number of overloads was required. Concepts is much more powerful than tag dispatching and got the number of functions I needed to type down to linear to the number of algorithms I wanted to expose. As it is I got a repetitive stress injury from typing typename, typedef ::type the < > and _ chars and saving ever twenty seconds with :w because I'm a vi user.

Regards,
Luke