Subject: Re: [boost] tweaking the review process
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-15 20:40:05

on Fri Nov 21 2008, John Phillips <phillips-AT-mps.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

> Stjepan Rajko wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 10:52 AM, John Phillips
>> <phillips_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> Do you think it would help if the Wizards stressed this need and requested
>>> an affirmation of it as part of the lead in to the review?
>>>

>> Definitely. I'm not sure whether stressing this requirement would
>> turn off potential review managers because of the added effort, but I
>> think it would make the overall review process better.
>>
>> Stjepan
>

> I don't want to discourage anyone who will do a good job of managing a review, but
> if we decide this is a necessary step in providing a good review then I'm not upset by
> discouraging anyone who won't do it.

I'm not sure just what's being proposed here (so this might be
off-base), but it's important not to make anything unnecessarily
burdensome. We need to rely on peoples' intelligence and sense of
responsibility without making egregious rules. For example, a review
manager should not -- in general -- need to do a comprehensive review
herself; she has enough on her plate already. 95% of the time it should
be enough to make a judgement based on the other reviews: both their
votes and their quality, depth, etc. At the end of the review period,
if she is truly left unsure whether the library should be accepted, a
review manager might go through the process herself, but otherwise a
comprehensive review from the manager should not be required.

I think it would be good if the review wizards could make it clear that
they are available to provide guidance in case review managers have
questions about how to do their jobs well.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing