Subject: Re: [boost] Asking for feedback for book (in German) about the Boost C++ libraries
From: Boris (boriss_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-19 04:35:24

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:18:16 +0100, Joachim Faulhaber
<afojgo_at_[hidden]> wrote:

Hi Joachim,

> [...]I've browsed the intro of your book and some of the chapters
> briefly. It seems
> to be a very valuable contribution. Sometimes I think that the effective
> communication about boost libraries is as important as the software
> itself,
> because it helps to build the bridge from the software to the developer
> who
> needs it.

I agree. As developers also have a look at the documentation first before
they look at a library's code and start to use it their impression of a
library's quality is shaped by the quality of the documentation. I don't
think that the documentation of the Boost libraries is bad but it's
diverse and not integrated.

> Your book will contribute to this goal especially for the German user
> community.
> Have you thought about maintaining the book as a boost wiki book in
> German
> language? On the long run, this might be more sustainable than to do all
> the
> work on your own.

I'll continue to add more chapters in the coming months. If there are
developers who want to contribute a section or even a chapter they are
definitely invited! However I want to make sure that the book is
integrated and is not a loose collection of Wiki pages. There is a concept
behind the book. A reader might not notice and indeed he shouldn't notice.
:) He shouldn't think about the presentation or structure while he reads
the text but concentrate on the topic. That said while a contribution to
the book is welcomed I'd definitely go over it to make sure that it fits
into the bigger picture.

Boris