Subject: Re: [boost] [shared_ptr] A smarter smart pointer proposal for dynamic libraries
From: J.D. Herron (jotadehace_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-24 02:27:52

Yes that's the point, its inlined wherever the shared pointer template is
instantiated for the type. Being a template it has to work that way. Since
that code is the same whether its instantiated in the unloaded dll or the
executable, everything works.

Your solution is fine except it demands an extra burden on the architecture
that in my opinion is unnecessary. The shared_ptr should behave as much
like a raw pointer as possible and this would be another step closer to
that. Also, we have use cases that need to unload factories but what they
produced could still be floating around the system.

J.D.