Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal: Add Loki Library's SafeFormat to Boost:
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-02 12:56:47

Robert Ramey wrote:
> Joel de Guzman wrote:

>> It's not an easy task, mind you. A lot of neurons were employed until
>> we came up with the best practical approach.
>
> The problem is that you tried to make it too clever. So it works in
> almost all cases. However, if it fails in just one case, then I have
> to start spending time to investigate. First there is the baroque
> directory structure. This creates a problem for me in that I never
> included just "spirit" but rather the lower level directories in order
> to included just the facilities that I used. So then I had to spend
> time to figure out what I should include. Then I come accross
> new names, etc. so then I have to try to
> "know more beyond the name(s)." which takes more time.
> The most irksome part of this is that it is totally unnecessary.

Yes, this is totally unnecessary. Show us the problem code that
caused you this misery and we'll fix it. The changes came before
two release cycles (IIRC). I haven't seen you report anything
other than adding a version info for Spirit2 (which we did).

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com