Subject: Re: [boost] [spirit] Library naming and sub-libraries
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-03 08:28:58

Andrey Semashev wrote:

>>> I understand that it's too late to rename the library now. However, I'd
>>> like to ask to reconsider naming of yet to be released libraries, like
>>> Karma or Qi (or what was it?).
>>
>> Just read the first paragraphs of the 'Introduction' in the docs and
>> you'll
>> know. That's something you'll have to do anyways, even if the library
>> has a
>> 'functional' name.
>
> No, I wouldn't have to read the docs, if the library had a more
> descriptive name and I was looking for something else. If I'm looking
> for smart pointers and see a Boost.Format library, I immediately know
> that it's not what I'm looking for.

Disagree. It just so happens that you have prior knowledge.
Without it, Boost.Format can be anything. It can be for formatting
hard disks, for all you know. Or perhaps providing different file
formats? "Boost.Format" in itself does not convey enough information.
A title is too short to convey the intent of a library. You need
at least a sentence.

"The Boost Format library"

Duh, what does that do? Provide cross platform file formats?

"The Boost Format library: The format library provides a class
for formatting arguments according to a format-string, as does
printf, but with two major differences"

Ah, format-strings.. ah printing!

Regards,

--