Subject: Re: [boost] [spirit] Library naming and sub-libraries
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-03 09:36:26

Joel de Guzman wrote:
> Andrey Semashev wrote:
>>
>> No, I wouldn't have to read the docs, if the library had a more
>> descriptive name and I was looking for something else. If I'm looking
>> for smart pointers and see a Boost.Format library, I immediately know
>> that it's not what I'm looking for.
>
> Disagree. It just so happens that you have prior knowledge.
> Without it, Boost.Format can be anything. It can be for formatting
> hard disks, for all you know. Or perhaps providing different file
> formats? "Boost.Format" in itself does not convey enough information.
> A title is too short to convey the intent of a library. You need
> at least a sentence.
>
> "The Boost Format library"
>
> Duh, what does that do? Provide cross platform file formats?
>
> "The Boost Format library: The format library provides a class
> for formatting arguments according to a format-string, as does
> printf, but with two major differences"
>
> Ah, format-strings.. ah printing!

It can be many things, but it definitely isn't a library of smart
pointers, is it? On the other hand, Boost.SmartPtr is most likely what
I'm looking for - therefore I will put more attention to it (read the
docs, for a start).

Look, I'm not arguing that the library name is everything you need to
know about the library. I'm just saying that informative names really do
help to find what you need.