Subject: Re: [boost] [linux drivers] Is it possible to use boost in a Linux driver?
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-13 18:03:34

Othman, Ossama wrote:
>> Does anybody know if it's possible to use boost within a Linux driver?
>>

> For reference, here's the Linux kernel FAQ item on C++ in the kernel (including drivers):
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/lkml/#s15-3

Hmm, unfortunately that page has a very low signal-to-noise ratio. There
is little actual information to be found there, only folklore (which may
or may not be true).
In particular, the often heard claim about "C++ is slow" and "C++
compilers suck" needs to be substantiated by real numbers / comparisons.
(I'm working in High Performance Computing, working mostly with C++.)

The one real argument unfortunately only alluded to is exception
handling (stack unwinding). It would be nice to have a technically
accurate description of the involved mechanism (let's take the now
established C++ ABI for that) and discuss why it is hard / impossible to
use in kernel code.

I'm sure there are a great many good discussions to be had over this
(and I do know that C++ and POSIX folks like to get into those), but the
above page just isn't a good resource to get informed, unfortunately.

</rambling>

Regards,
       Stefan