Subject: Re: [boost] [linux drivers] Is it possible to use boost in a Linux driver?
From: Sebastian Redl (sebastian.redl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-13 18:34:31

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Othman, Ossama wrote:
>>
>> For reference, here's the Linux kernel FAQ item on C++ in the kernel
>> (including drivers):
>>
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/lkml/#s15-3
>>

> Hmm, unfortunately that page has a very low signal-to-noise ratio.
> There is little actual information to be found there, only folklore
> (which may or may not be true).
> In particular, the often heard claim about "C++ is slow" and "C++
> compilers suck" needs to be substantiated by real numbers /
> comparisons. (I'm working in High Performance Computing, working
> mostly with C++.)
No, it doesn't. The page isn't about why C++ is inappropriate for
kernels, but about why C++ won't make it into the kernel, written as the
opinions of several people. The page points out that many kernel hackers
don't like C++ - it certainly doesn't need to defend the opinions of
these hackers.

Sebastian