Subject: Re: [boost] Vault: still needed?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-22 14:32:23

Eric Niebler wrote:
> David Abrahams wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> For some time now, Boostpro Computing has been hosting the Boost file
>> valut, but now that Boost has a great Subversion host I'm beginning
>> to wonder whether the vault is still needed. What's the case for
>> holding onto it when people could just check their speculative work
>> into the sandbox and subsequently merge smoothly into the Boost
>> trunk if it is accepted?
>
> I use the Vault to distribute .zip archives of newer versions of my
> libraries. I wouldn't want to have to tell people they need a
> subversion client to get out-of-band bug fixes and features. I say
> leave it alone.
> My $0.02,

Add my 2 cents too.

There is lot's of code there which the author doesn't have time to
massage to boost requirements but is still very valuable. In particular
there are modules for serialization of a few types which work fine
even though there are no tests, documentation etc. Look at the
number of downloads.

Robert Ramey