Subject: Re: [boost] Vault: still needed?
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-22 15:57:51

on Thu Jan 22 2009, "Robert Ramey" <ramey-AT-rrsd.com> wrote:

> Eric Niebler wrote:
>> David Abrahams wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> For some time now, Boostpro Computing has been hosting the Boost file
>>> valut, but now that Boost has a great Subversion host I'm beginning
>>> to wonder whether the vault is still needed. What's the case for
>>> holding onto it when people could just check their speculative work
>>> into the sandbox and subsequently merge smoothly into the Boost
>>> trunk if it is accepted?
>>
>> I use the Vault to distribute .zip archives of newer versions of my
>> libraries. I wouldn't want to have to tell people they need a
>> subversion client to get out-of-band bug fixes and features. I say
>> leave it alone.

I think you can do most of that with Trac. See the zip archive
link at the bottom of
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset?new=48077%40trunk%2Flibs%2Fxpressive&old=46368%40trunk%2Flibs%2Fxpressive

>> My $0.02,
>
> Add my 2 cents too.
>
> There is lot's of code there which the author doesn't have time to
> massage to boost requirements but is still very valuable.

That can still go in the sandbox. The sandbox is for in-development
stuff.

> In particular there are modules for serialization of a few types which
> work fine even though there are no tests, documentation etc. Look at
> the number of downloads.

I don't see how that relates to vault vs. SVN.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing