Subject: Re: [boost] Vault: still needed?
From: Markus Werle (numerical.simulation_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-23 05:38:43

David Abrahams <dave <at> boostpro.com> writes:

> For some time now, Boostpro Computing has been hosting the Boost file
> valut, but now that Boost has a great Subversion host I'm beginning to
> wonder whether the vault is still needed.

Hooray! Finally!

So often I was in despair when I read the boost archives
referring to vault packages which no longer existed.
Using SVN now gives us all we need to track back any action
that has taken place: I checkout the sandbox for a given date
et voila: I find the submitted tar.gz or zip file of the
original proposal and can compare the discussion against
this package. The value of this cannot be underestimated.
It makes a review process trackable for years.
It gives us history.

There is an other advantage, too: Since SVN has binary diff
storage, the disk usage is lower than in a simple file repo.
I really recommend to hold *any* file under SVN.
Also I like the many extra possibilities like e.g. WebDAV access
(davfs2, etc. )

I support your proposal and I would like to see the vault under
version control ASAP.

best regards,

Markus