Subject: Re: [boost] Vault: still needed?
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-23 16:05:16

Edward Diener wrote:
> Emil Dotchevski wrote:
>> The Boost Vault is similarly simpler than a giant SVN tree (I suppose
>> the word "inadequate" was a bit excessive.)
>
> One can place anything under SVN, including entire implementations in
> compressed file format, in any branch of SVN. Why not simply have a
> "Vault" branch of Boost's SVN and then have everyone who is used to
> using the Boost Vault place there software there. The end user could
> then use the "Vault" branch of Boost's SVN to get at it, and this would
> not impact other users of Boost's SVN from getting the latest Boost from
> the "trunk" in any way whatsoever.

I agree with this proposal. I think a "Vault" directory in SVN (maybe,
inside the sandbox repository) is a good idea. However, I'd like the
major advantage of the Vault to be preserved - this directory should be
accessible without having SVN installed. I would suggest to switch the
"Vault" reference in the web site to the appropriate page of web-SVN. At
least until people get accustomed with the idea that it is now in the
sandbox.

As a side question, what will happen with the current Vault contents?
Will it move under SVN or should the file owners move it themselves?