Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal/InterestCheck: Boost.Geom
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-28 19:31:29

Anis Benyelloul wrote:
> I hear lots of people in this thread talking about their own
> ideas in this domain but I find it hard to find each person's
> proposition/code (latest versions, and documentation when available),
> if everyone could provide links to their work it would be great.

This is the latest open source release of my legacy API originally proposed to boost about two years ago:
http://www.boostpro.com/vault/index.php?PHPSESSID=a3fd72812c895e3b86676c9565a7adf6&direction=0&order=&directory=Math%20-%20Geometry : gtl.tar.gz

This is the most recent version of my current API availabe to the community:
https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/gtl/gtl/

I'd like to point out that the ideas contained in the sandbox implementation are not purely my own. Several members of the boost development community, as well as the other geometry library authors influenced the design and provided help with issues I faced such as how to conditionally provide a default traits with enable_if, how to deal with bugs in compilers etc. If you look at the mailing list archive, the development of the new gtl API is a long slow process of patient people helping me figure out for myself what they already knew from their own experience. I didn't understand the relative merits of different design considerations until I ran into the problems and realized that those were the problems the boost folks were solving with their approach. Until you've experienced the problem, the solution doesn't make much sense. Can you think of any problems with your current implementation that you would like to solve?

Regards,
Luke