Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] Version 3 request for comments
From: Jorge Lodos Vigil (lodos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-02 13:09:21

Beman Dawes wrote:

> > Apparently the new version have wchar_t internal
> representations for all Windows OSs. However, Windows 9x
> versions do not support wchar_t (at least natively).
> > I'm not sure if dropping support for Windows 9x is desired,
> but it would certainly be a difference with previous versions.
>
> Is there a real-life case to be made for supporting Windows 9X?

Unfortunately yes. We use boost::filesystem in our AV engine which is still used by many Windows 9x clients, including several Windows 95!
Given the interface standardization, we will use boost::filesystem in 9x anyway, either by keeping v2 or even if you decide not to support 9x in v3 by adding to it what is needed.
What I mean is that we will devote resources anyway to this task.

> I think a technical solution might be possible by supporting
> builds for Windows that use narrow characters and the narrow
> character API.
> But there would have to be reasonable (i.e. limited) expectations.
> Such a build wouldn't magically enable encodings that aren't
> supported by the operating system and/or file system in use.

You are right of course, no magical encodings are possible. It will suffice if ANSI Windows APIs are called in this build instead of wide ones.
This is the problem introduced in v3: the narrow API versions are never used.

> > In case you need any help with these platforms I'll be glad
> to do what I could.
>
> I would need help with testing, at the least.

Please don't hesitate to ask what you need. If you preder so you may contact me directly.

Best regards
Jorge