Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] Version 3 request for comments
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-02 12:31:31

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Jorge Lodos Vigil <lodos_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> First of all, thank you for your work in the filesystem library.

You are welcome!

> Apparently the new version have wchar_t internal representations for all Windows OSs. However, Windows 9x versions do not support wchar_t (at least natively).
> I'm not sure if dropping support for Windows 9x is desired, but it would certainly be a difference with previous versions.

Is there a real-life case to be made for supporting Windows 9X?

Cygwin is also a concern because of lack of standard library wchar_t
support. I'm trying to get more information from the Cygwin/gcc
maintainers, but no response so far.

I think a technical solution might be possible by supporting builds
for Windows that use narrow characters and the narrow character API.
But there would have to be reasonable (i.e. limited) expectations.
Such a build wouldn't magically enable encodings that aren't supported
by the operating system and/or file system in use.

> In case you need any help with these platforms I'll be glad to do what I could.

I would need help with testing, at the least.

--Beman