Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Review-ready version in the Vault
From: Vladimir Batov (batov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-10 03:25:10

> ... You can either create a logger and use it as an independent object, or
> you can declare a global logger and use it everywhere you need it. The
> first approach is good to store loggers as class members. The second is
> convenient if you tend to use functional code or don't need any
> context-specific attributes in it. It can be done like this:
>
> BOOST_LOG_DECLARE_GLOBAL_LOGGER(my_logger, src::severity_logger_mt< >)
>
> void foo()
> {
> src::severity_logger_mt< >& lg = my_logger::get();
> // go ahead logging
> }

Hmm, I honestly think that having "loggers as class members" is a bad idea.
I do not usually like global objects either (static initialization issues,
too much visibility). However, what I definitely use a lot is retrieving the
same log by name in different compilation modules (that takes the visibility
down). Like

        boost::log log1(name);
        boost::log log2(name); // The same as log1

Best,
V.