Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Review-ready version in the Vault
From: Alexander Arhipenko (arhipjan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-17 10:00:33

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Andrey Semashev
<andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>[...snip]
>
> True. I forgot about the "app" flag, indeed. However, what behavior were you
> trying to achieve with this flag? It doesn't occur to me that it has much
> sense with the rotating stream.

Andrey, consider following use case.
Application that runs on remote server (let's call that application
slave) is started up
several times per day by another process (master).
Slave is writing logs to it's own log file (e.g., slave.log).
This log file is monitored by administrator every day
(notification email with attached latest log files is sent to him).
In case if using log rotation without 'app' flag, slave.log will be
overwritten every time slave is starting up,
so valuable log records could be overlooked by administrator.

Also, according to my own intuition and to another logging libaries
(python.logging),
the first log file in rotation sequence, e.g. file.log.0, usually
contains latest log records.
And the last file (e.g., file.log.N), contains the earliest ones.
It will be nice to see such behavior in rotating_ofstream.

Regards