Subject: Re: [boost] [Serialization] BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT regression on SunCC
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-17 17:08:29

Just to let everyone know:

Between 1.34 and the present export has undergone a lot more that one
change.
The one's I recall are ( more or less in order)

ehancement to eliminate header order requirement

enhancement to support multi-threading. This required implemenation
of a suitable singleton and changing a lot of code to use it.

enhancement to support serialization code dispurseed accross
dynamically DLLS.

enhancement to remove dependence on __LINE__ to
maintain some unique names.

clarification in the documentation as to the best way
to use export.

And after all there this there is ONLY ONE regression?
(maybe two - recently detected).

So I'm personally very pleased to take credit for all this.

Note that its not all that easy to detect such regressions from
looking at the trunk tests. The table shows as errors such
things as usage with libraries which don't support wide characters
or don't support spirit. Also some test platforms arn't setup
correctly. And often there is a lapse of time between the change
is made and when the error shows up. And also results hang
around a long time so there is no easy way to see that one
has actually fixed something.

So as far as SunCC is concerned: I've reviewed the latest
trunk tests and it looks to me that a little effort could resolve
the problems with instantiation of extended_type_info for
these types. In the worst case, probably a SunCC specific
macro could be included. In any case, it'll have to be addressed
by someone who has the compiler on hand. I'd would much
like to see this looked at. The only other compiler which
shows problems is the VACPP and I have it on qt that that
maybe on the road to getting addressed as well.

Robert Ramey