Subject: Re: [boost] [1.38] PDF docs release candidate available
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-18 04:47:13

> John Maddock wrote:
>> The release candidate for the PDF build of the 1.38 docs is now
>> available from http://boost.cowic.de/rc/pdf/, unless anyone spots any
>> last minute issues, I'll put these on sourceforge at the weekend.
>
> If you look at the toolset table in bjam.pdf, pages 3-5. There is some
> text which is "jumbled" on some of the rightmost cells. And in other of
> those right most cells it compresses the text. I guess for the former
> it's compressing the text so much that the letter overrun each other. No
> idea how that might be fixed... But going ahead and posting the PDFs
> even with that problem is OK by me.

Ah good catch, looks like XEP is being extra clever and compressing
preformatted text to ensure it doesn't run off the page...

I don't see any easy way to fix this - basically the table is too big/wide
for print formatting, and although it's technically possible to generate
landscape tables - they can't run over more than one page (there are
problems getting the necessary formatting attributes onto the XML as well).

I think in the long run, since the first column is mostly empty, could this
table be split into 2 tables with just 3 columns each: one for build.bat on
Windows and one for build.sh on Unix?

Thanks, John.