Subject: Re: [boost] [1.38] PDF docs release candidate available
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-18 12:08:19

On
> Behalf Of John Maddock
> Sent: 18 February 2009 09:47
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] [1.38] PDF docs release candidate available
>
> > John Maddock wrote:
> >> The release candidate for the PDF build of the 1.38 docs is now
> >> available from http://boost.cowic.de/rc/pdf/,

> > If you look at the toolset table in bjam.pdf, pages 3-5. There is some
> > text which is "jumbled" on some of the rightmost cells.

> I don't see any easy way to fix this - basically the table is too big/wide
> for print formatting, and although it's technically possible to generate
> landscape tables - they can't run over more than one page (there are
> problems getting the necessary formatting attributes onto the XML as
well).

I think we should not even think about landscape - many people will be
reading the pdf on the screen anyway - so the policy should be that tables
are made to fit portrait.

> I think in the long run, since the first column is mostly empty, could
this
> table be split into 2 tables with just 3 columns each: one for build.bat
on
> Windows and one for build.sh on Unix?

It looks to me as though a more serious problem is all the columns seem to
be the same width, not automatically made to fit as well as possible.
(There might be an FOP option for this but I haven't found one yet).

I also note that the 'wrap-over' happens when the string is too long to fit
- so it might be avoided by splitting it by hand into two or more strings.
The Notes:, for example, wrap perfectly.

Or we could 'complain' to RenderX - they were helpful last time I raised a
query?

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow