Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review Request: Boost.String.Convert
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-18 19:36:58

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Christopher Jefferson
<chris_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> If you are suggesting it should do other things, then you are opening a big
> box I don't want to go into. I do not want a unifying single "convert"
> method, that turns anything into anything else, mainly because it will gets
> things wrong most of the time.

The opinion that the mother of all convert functions that can convert
anything into anything won't work can't be defended without delving
into it in details.

I would be satisfied if there is at least an acknowledgment that those
details must be considered before such semantics are seriously
proposed -OR- we argee that it's just for strings and focus on its
pros and cons over to_string/from_string, in this limited domain.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.