Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review Request: Boost.Convert
From: Vladimir Batov (batov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-20 22:49:39

> int men = convert_to<string, int>(str);

Just to clarify. You probably meant one of the below:

    int men = convert_to<int>(str);
    int men = convert_from<string, int>(str);
    int men = convert<string, int>(str);

> would propose, rather than having a default "fallback" value to
> provide two overloads for convert: one with two parameters where you
> can provide the fallback value, and the other, one-parameter, that
> would indicate that you want to throw an exception on failure. Yo do
> not loose much of your original interface, because you can write more
> explicitly:
>
> int men = convert_to<string, int>(str, 0);

Yes, I tend ot agree. Requiring an explicit default seems clearer and less
ambiguous. Once you mentioned that

    int men = convert_to<int>(str);

looks very unsafe to me. It's highly unlikely 0 (or any default-constructed
object) would be a good failure indicatior... especially snicked in "under
the table".

> I find it better because:
> 1. It forces the writer to type more clearly his intentions. (Or
> explicitly confirm that he is aware that the string may not be
> convertible to int.)
> 2. Releaves you from providing the throw_t argument altogether. This
> in turn removes the possibility of writing:
>
> convert<string, int>(str, -1) >> throw_t();
> // What does -1 mean here?

That "-1" indeed looks kind of out of place, doesn't it? :-) And 'yes', your
arguments make a lot of sense to me. So, to summarize we are moving to the
original lexical_cast behavior

int i = convert_to<int>(str) // throws on failure
int i = convert_from<string, int>(str, -1) // returns -1 on failure
int i = convert_from(str, -1) // the same as above

and throw_t scrapped. Any objections?

V.