Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review Request: Boost.String.Convert
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-21 12:28:37

AMDG

Andrey Semashev wrote:
>>> My current vision is that Boost.NumericConversion and Boost.Units
>>> will provide a support layer for Boost.Convert (let's call it that
>>> way for now). That support layer will be implemented as a regular
>>> extension for the Boost.Convert library. So, the "convert" function
>>> will eventually call numeric_cast or quantity_cast, or any other
>>> appropriate tool in these libraries to fulfill the conversion.
>>
>> There is no function called quantity_cast, in the released version of
>> Boost.Units--it's spelled static_cast.
>
> Huh? I can see it in the library docs:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/adkdd7

Oh. Right. I was thinking of the conversion between
units. Extracting the raw value, IMO, should never happen
in a context where you don't know that this is exactly
what you are doing. A generic conversion routine should
never resolve to quantity_cast. It's clearer to have a specific
function for the task.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe