Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.RangeEx: contains?
From: Neil Groves (neil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-22 05:46:41

Dear Marcus,

Thank you for evaluating the Boost.RangeEx submission.

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Marcus Lindblom <macke_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
>
>> Dear Developers and Users,
>>
>> It's my pleasure to announce that the review of Neil Groves' RangeEx
>> library starts today and lasts until March 3, 2009.
>>

> Great news! Many thanks to Neil for sticking in there and taking RangeEx
> to its completion, and to Torsten, who started it all! It's nice to see
> that it did happen, as I did a non-starter attempt a year or so ago to
> complete this library.

The RangeEx submission has had inputs from many others, including Eric
Neibler who is unfairly missing an acknowledgement in my current
documentation. I need to address this. Thorsten has continually helped
evaluate the various versions of RangeEx too.

> I've looked at the code before when I tried to hack on it, and after some
> glancing at the docs now, it seems to be everything it could be, and more.
> The range adaptors are there, and the various return policies have a nice
> solution as well.
>
> It's definitely a library that should go into boost, as it should've been
> in STL from the start.
>
> I'm just missing basic "contains/contains_if" function, that searches and
> retursn a bool on whether an item is in a range. (i.e. find(rng, v) !=
> end(rng) ). I've found those are quite useful. Perhaps this just has another
> name and I overlooked it?

These are definately missing. I have a bit of a problem here, there are
several algorithms I would like to include that are already in
<boost/detail/algorithm.hpp>. Before a release I will need to remove any ODR
violations when these headers are included together with range. This
currently defines container_contains that behaves like a 'contains' function
would. I will coordinate and address a solution before release.

> Cheers,
> /Marcus

Best Wishes,
Neil Groves