Subject: Re: [boost] uploaded Channel - a lib for (distributed) messagepassingand event dispatching to boost vault
From: Yigong Liu (yigongliu_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-20 03:08:33

Hello Vicente,

Thanks for looking into the Join library and maintain the "libraries in
build" wiki.

I understand that "Join" looks a little bit odd (or new) from the surface.
However under the hood is just the plain old message passing. Join/Jocaml
(the original authors, not me:) did create unique primitives for message
coordination: Join definitions and join patterns. When they integrated
Join's constructs into OO languages to be more appealing to larger developer
community, "channels" become async methods, join-patterns become chords and
join-definitions become classes. This may look more accessible to OO
developers, however it becomes more static and the real meaning of messaging
may be escaping in the first look. Nowadays, the trend is reversing and
people are more coming back to the message passing side. Here is a video
about integrating Join into VisualBasic which you may find interesting:
http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going+Deep/Claudio-Russo-and-Lucian-Wischik-Inside-Concurrent-Basic/

BTW, the core of the Join library is about 1000 lines
(port.hpp/join_base.hpp/part_of_actor.hpp), all others are just sugars.

Thanks.
Yigong