Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] fixed size matrix class?
From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-30 09:10:10

Ross Levine wrote:
> I guess I'll be a voice of dissent. I personally think a fixed 2d
> matrix is too easy. It seems all you would have to do is either use a
> flat boost::array of Rows * Columns or the like, and copy
> boost::array's interface. This is from someone who is programming a
> game and already made a 2d matrix class.
>
> I do, however, think that a fixed-size n-dimensional matrix would be
> better for GSoC, and can see the value in that. It would be difficult,
> though, without varidic templates.

On the other hand, you're not going to mentor the student. A gsoc
project that gets finished, reviewed and committed to trunk is 10x
better than one coded and partially documented, dumped into the "here's
what I wrote this summer" google code repo. How hard the project is
to *code* is only a small part of the problem. The hard part is
getting the tests written, learning the build system, writing thousands
of emails like this one, writing docs, etc. GSOC is as much training
for this process as it is learning to code new stuff.

-t