Subject: Re: [boost] GSoc Proposals - some friendly advice
From: Stjepan Rajko (stjepan.rajko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-01 02:51:59

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:>
> So here's my advice.
>
> Pick something really small that you know you can finish in three months. If
> you
> finish too soon, we can give you something else to do.

As a past student GSoC participant w/ boost, I strongly second this
advice. I started my GSoC project with a finished prototype, rewrote
and expanded it during the project term, then rewrote most of it about
twice more afterward, submitted for review, and then rewrote it again
after the review. It's been 2 years now, it's still not finished.
For me at least, boost has a tendency to give new ideas and teach new
ways of doing things that make everything you've already finished seem
"not quite satisfactory". I'd suggest proposing a project which can
be redesigned, reimplemented, retested and redocumented a few times
during the GSoC period :-)

Best,

Stjepan