Subject: Re: [boost] Release schedule
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-03 13:15:51

Vladimir Prus wrote:

> I think most changes are safe, but still will try to do this wholesale
> merge this weekend, and then only merge specific fixes as necessary.
> (I also need to review/mark Boost.Build self-test, but that's another
> matter not directly related to building C++ Boost itself)

I'm not sure if this is applicable, but here is what I do.

a) On my local machine I create a BoostRelease directory downloaded
from SVN release branch.

b) For the directories related to my changes (boost/archive,
boost/serialization,
libs/serialization in my case, tools/build? in yours), I use the SVN
"switch"
command to change just these directories to the trunk where my changes
have been running (and presumably passing).

c) Then I run my tests on my local system. I only merge into the release
when and if all my tests pass.

This has a few really attractive benefits:

a) It makes me very confident that merging my changes into the release
branch will not result in any surprises.

b) If some surprise occurs with my local tests, it's likely that this issue
is mine alone and not some side effect of some issue in someone else's
library. This avoids have to spend what can be a lot of time looking
for something that I can't fix.

Try it, you'll like it.

Robert Ramey