Subject: Re: [boost] Default variants on windows
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-08 10:25:47

On
> Behalf Of Thomas Klimpel
> Sent: 08 April 2009 14:55
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] Default variants on windows
>
> Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > In that issue, John say that the only
> > sensible solution for Windows is to build all possible
> > variants by default (IIRC, a total of 6). I would like
> > other Windows developers to comment if that is sensible
> > solution.
>
> Face the truth: On Windows, there are too many of features
(no-checked-iterators,
> SCL_SECURE, autolinking + _DEBUG) "influencing" ABI compatibility that no
> "default" solution will suit all needs, even if you are accepting
excessive build times.

> The only solution I see is to tell the user that is really easy to build
the libraries with
> different options, and show them that it is really that easy (which it is
once you found
> out how to do it).

I agree with this conclusion - better instructions and examples on how to
build the variants is the only reasonable solution.
Already the build time and disk space is pretty silly.

We need a whole stack of worked and tested examples that 'hold the hand' of
Windows users - they are not used to this sort of hassle.

They need to be told explicitly what is means and what to do when they get a
Link error message.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow