Subject: Re: [boost] Default variants on windows
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-08 09:54:40

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> In that issue, John say that the only
> sensible solution for Windows is to build all possible
> variants by default (IIRC, a total of 6). I would like
> other Windows developers to comment if that is sensible
> solution.

Face the truth: On Windows, there are too many of features (no-checked-iterators, SCL_SECURE, autolinking + _DEBUG) "influencing" ABI compatibility that no "default" solution will suit all needs, even if you are accepting excessive build times.

The only solution I see is to tell the user that is really easy to build the libraries with different options, and show them that it is really that easy (which it is once you found out how to do it).

Regards,
Thomas