Subject: Re: [boost] Default variants on windows
From: Anteru (newsgroups_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-09 08:51:07

Vladimir Prus schrieb:
> Per:
>
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2899
>
> we have a problem that the default set of libraries
> build on Windows does not match autolink defaults, which
> causes confusion. In that issue, John say that the only
> sensible solution for Windows is to build all possible
> variants by default (IIRC, a total of 6). I would like
> other Windows developers to comment if that is sensible
> solution. In particular, is it best to build all possible
> variants that user might need, or build just the variants
> that autolink needs by default, so that user can build other
> later.

What I build is usually autolink/mt/debug+release on Windows, and this
has been sufficient for all projects in the last years. There might be
people who need the DLL libraries, but by default (IMO) the static
autolink libraries are good enough. If someone needs the DLLs, he can
easily build them, and for most programs using the static libraries is
much more convenient.

Cheers,
  Anteru