Subject: [boost] link=shared and runtime-link=static
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-11 02:36:22

In present, with --build-type=complete all variants with
<link>shared and <runtime-link>static are explicitly not built,
because they are deemed risky.

The code to exclude those variants is written in such a way that:
1. It produces pile of unclear messages.
2. It prevent build of those variants no matter what -- even if
you specify this explicitly on command line, you'll get nothing built.

I am fixing (1) and this allows (2) to be changed. Should I? In other
words, what should happen if user say:

  bjam link=shared runtime-link=static

? Options are:

1. This variant is built.
2. This variant is built, a huge warning is printed.
3. Error is emitted, user can pass --yes-I-know-what-I'm-doing to build
4. Error is emitted.

I believe that on Linux, (4) is most appropriate. I don't know about Windows.
Comments?

- Volodya