Subject: Re: [boost] Building stage by default, pt. 2
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-15 21:10:02

on Sat Apr 11 2009, Vladimir Prus <vladimir-AT-codesourcery.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> previously, we discussed that building the 'stage' target
> by default would be a good idea -- since some users forget
> that and don't have an easy way to get at built libraries.
> See:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/182787
>
> I've now implemented the change, taking into account the comments
> in that thread. In particular:
>
> - the message now uses absolute paths
> - the location of headers is explicitly specified
>
> Here's an example of the message that is output if you do "./bjam"
> in Boost root:
>
> Building C++ Boost.
>
> After the build, the headers will be located at
>
> /home/ghost/Work/Boost/boost-svn
>
> The libraries will be located at
>
> /home/ghost/Work/Boost/boost-svn/stage/lib
>
> Use 'bjam install --prefix=<path>' if you wish to install headers and
> libraries to a different location and remove the source tree.

Makes it sound like bjam is going to delete the source tree.

Try this:

    Now building Boost library binaries...

... build output here ...

    Boost library binaries built. To use the result with the headers
    from your source tree:

    * place /home/ghost/Work/Boost/boost-svn in your compiler's
      #include search path

    * place /home/ghost/Work/Boost/boost-svn/stage/lib in your linker's
      library search path

    To install library binaries and headers to a different location, so
    the source tree can be removed, use

      bjam install --prefix=<installation path>

> I was considering outputting a 'summary' at the end of the build, as
> opposed at the beginning, but that would require some Boost.Jam
> changes and therefore cannot be accomplished at this point of release
> cycle.

hear, hear.

> Anybody wishes to comment on the wording before this gets merged to release
> branch?

Hope it's not too late.

--
Dave Abrahams