Subject: Re: [boost] request for interest in a garbage collection library
From: Gregory Peele ARA/CFD (gpeele_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-21 09:33:39

To chime in with a couple thoughts (I'm not expert on the topic though.)

Doesn't Java deal with finalization issues in a sane way? If I recall, they guarantee that finalize() will be run at most once on an object after it becomes unreachable, but an object in a reference cycle isn't actually destroyed and collected until all objects in that cycle have been finalized (or more technically when there are no more active references to that object, including other objects pending finalization.) I have no clue how hard this would be to implement in C++ or even if it makes sense to try, especially as finalizers are intended to catch cases that are better addressed with RAII. Even in Java, they are discouraged in favor of try / finally clauses. Java also permits the finalizers to make the object active again, which I think is a rather pathological case.

In favor of garbage collection in general, though - for some use cases, especially those that don't use non-memory resources, it makes a lot of sense. The Boehm guys claim that garbage collection can be a significant performance win for workloads involving large numbers of small objects, as compared to C++ new / delete - especially in multithreaded environments. It can also greatly speed up prototyping complex geometric or graph data structures, where reference counting (especially non-intrusively) is a huge performance / memory hit and playing the game of "who owns the pointer?" takes more time than actually developing the algorithm for your problem domain.

Just my $0.02.

Gregory Peele, Jr.
Applied Research Associates, Inc.