Subject: Re: [boost] discussion of garbage collection in C++
From: Cory Nelson (phrosty_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-25 01:31:40

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Raindog <raindog_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Because the majority of programmers have proven that they obviously prefer a
> GC environment over an RAII one. Given that a large number of C++
> programmers don't even take advantage of RAII, I would say that a c++
> runtime w/ GC and RAII would be very appealing to a larger number of people.

I think the popularity of other languages has nothing to do with GC or
RAII, but because those languages give you libraries including
everything but the kitchen sink and are thus usually quicker to get
started with.

Not to say that having optional GC would be bad. I personally don't
know if I would ever want to use it, but I'm sure someone would find a
good fit for it.

--
Cory Nelson